West Nile virus has been confirmed as a contributing factor in the death of an 84-year-old Clark County man.
The Clark County Combined Health District said Monday that the county’s first West Nile virus-related fatality was reported by the Springfield Regional Medical Center, where the man had been hospitalized.
It’s believed the man was outside gardening several weeks ago when he was bitten by a mosquito infected with the virus, Clark County Health Commissioner Charles Patterson said. He sought medical treatment after suffering from a high fever but succumbed to complications of viral encephalitis, a common side effect of West Nile, Patterson said.
The Clark County death was Ohio’s fourth West Nile fatality, and the first reported in the county in more than a decade. The other deaths this year included an 87-year-old man in Cuyahoga County and two men from Hamilton County, ages 76 and 80.
(FROM DAYTON DAILY NEWS) Multiple accidents shut down I-75 in both directions downtown early Tuesday morning.
Both sides of I-75 shut down between West Third Street and U.S. 35 at 12:43 a.m. The highway was still shut down as of 5:15 a.m.
Three people suffered minor injuries and were taken to the hospital.
Haz-mat crews were also called in because of leaking fuel.
Police said that a southbound car spun out of control and hit a temporary barrier. That barrier was knocked into the northbound side and was hit by a semi. The semi hit more barriers, and knocked those into the southbound lanes.
FEMA AWARDS $1,683,239 GRANT TO FRANKLIN COUNTY
Hazard mitigation funds will be used to remove homes from flood-prone areas
CHICAGO – The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has released $1,683,239 in Pre Disaster Mitigation Grant Program (PDM) funds to Franklin County, Ohio, for the acquisition of seventeen flood-prone homes that have been repetitively damaged from flooding.
PDM provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through PDM, FEMA will pay up to 75 percent of the $2,244,320 eligible project cost. The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $561,081, will be provided by Franklin County.
FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.
(FROM NEWS SUN) Absentee voting begins today in the State of Ohio.
Ohio Secretary of State John Husted says more than 920,000 absentee ballot applications to vote by mail were submitted. Ballots will be sent to eligible voters on Tuesday.
WEEC SPORTS – TUESDAY 10-2-12:
NFL MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: CHICAGO 34 DALLAS 18. SUNDAY 1PM: MIAMI AT CINCINNATI, CLEVELAND AT THE NEW YORK GIANTS.
BASEBALL: ST. LOUIS 4 CINCINNATI 2, CHICAGO WHITE SOX 11 CLEVELAND 0, DESPITE THE WIN, THE SOX ARE OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS, DETROIT WINS THE AL CENTRAL! THE FINAL NL WILD-CARD PLAYOFF SPOT STILL UP FOR GRABS, SAYS CBSSPORTS.COM.
TONIGHT 7PM: CHICAGO WHITE SOX AT CLEVELAND, 8PM: CINCINNATI AT ST. LOUIS.
COLLEGE FOOTBALL SATURDAY 8PM: 4-1 NEBRASKA AT 5-0 OHIO STATE.
THE ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS DIRECTOR OF PLAYER DEVELOPMENT MIKE BELL SAYS THE ORGANIZATION HAS NAMED OUTFIELDER ADAM EATON, FORMER KENTON RIDGE BASEBALL AND MIAMI REDHAWKS STAR, THEIR PLAYER OF THE YEAR! EATON BEGAN THE YEAR IN MOBILE, ALABAMA, PLAYING ONLY 10 GAMES THERE BEFORE BEING PROMOTED TO TRIPLE-A RENO, WHERE HE HIT .381, GOOD FOR THE PACIFIC COAST LEAGUE BATTING CROWN, AND ADAM WAS NAMED BOTH THE PCL’S MOST VALUABLE PLAYER AND THE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR! WITH 186 HITS, AND 38 STOLEN BASES, EATON REACHED BASE IN 41 STRAIGHT GAMES, AND WAS PROMOTED IN SEPTEMBER TO THE DIAMONDBACKS, WHERE IN HIS 1ST GAME HE WAS 2 FOR 6 WITH A DOUBLE AND RUN SCORED IN AN 8-6 VICTORY OVER NL WEST CHAMPION SAN FRANCISCO! In 22 games with the D-backs, Eaton hit .259 (22-for-85) with 3 doubles, 2 triples, 2 home runs, 5 RBI, 2 stolen bases and 19 runs scored. His season came to an end on September 29 vs. the Cubs when he suffered a fractured right hand after being hit by a pitch in the seventh inning. A native of Springfield, Eaton was drafted by the D-backs in the 19th round of the 2010 First-Year Player Draft from Miami University.