WEEC NEWS – TUESDAY, JULY 22, 2014


I’m Ruth Book reporting for our WEEC News! I encourage you to stop by our booth in the Mercantile Building at the Clark County Fair. Ryan Freed will be there until 6 and I’ll be going out tonight from 6-9…sure would like to see you!

A Cedarville Graduate has been names as the news anchor on Weekend “Good Morning America”! The news release from Cedarville says 1997 grad Paula Faris will replace departing news anchor on the weekends, Bianna Golodryga. Faris will begin her new duties on “World News Now” on August 8th. She joined the network in 2012 from the NBC affiliate in Chicago and recently was an ABC News’ reporter at the World Cup. Faris has a BA degree in broadcasting from Cedarville and will co-anchor the weekend morning news with Dan Harris with Rob Marciano joining the weekend crew as weather forecaster.

Wright-Patterson Air Force Base has tied as the top Air Force base to be stationed at. The Air Force Times says that is among 68 stateside locations. The weekly newspaper and website looked at a dozen categories, and used a point system to evaluate each of the bases and highlighted the top five and the lowest five ratings for bases. The categories they reviewed included school quality, cost of living, housing costs, size of the community, base exchange, on-base medical care facilities, crime rates, commute times, pollution levels, climate, unemployment rates and sales taxes. Wright-Patterson tied with Scott Air Force Base in Illinois for the top spot.

A crash in the left lane of westbound I-70 west of US 40 is open now after a crash and fire involving two semi-tractor trailers. That crash reported just before 10am shut down the highway with one semi engulfed in flames. The extent of injuries and damage was not available at news time.

At least six vehicles were set on fire in Greenville this morning, just after 5am. The vehicles were in the southwest area of Greeneville with varying degrees of damage. One person was detained for questioning.

In Jefferson Township a man had to be cut out of his car this morning after colliding with a truck at the intersection of South Union and Dayton Liberty roads just after 7am. The man in the car was taken to the hospital with injuries not considered life-threatening. The driver of the truck ran a red light, according to police and will be cited.

A 19 year old is in trouble today for driving a stolen car, crashing it, then running from police in Miami Township. That happened around 12:40 this morning. Police tracked the teen with a canine and found him hiding under a van a few blocks away from the crash. The vehicle was reported stolen out of Englewood.

The death of that 7 month old boy who was mauled by a dog in Dayton Sunday has been ruled an accident. Johnathan Quarles Jr. was in the care of his step-grandmother when the dog attacked. He died of multiple blunt force injuries according to the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office. He was in Dayton visiting relatives with his Indianapolis family. Pat Harlow, owner of All Dog Breed Obedience in Dayton gave these tips for families: Never leave a child with a dog unsupervised and if you’re not sure if a dog is baby-friendly, keep the dog on a leash. If a dog attacks you, don’t gesture, scream or make eye contact with the dog. Give the dog commands to sit, stop, down, etc and back away slowly. Bring your arm up to protect your face and throat and if you are on the ground, roll into a ball and protect your head and neck. Dayton Children’s reports they saw almost 300 kids for dog bites in 2013 and in the first quarter of this year saw 55.

Summer vacation is now at the half-way point and a check on students in Ohio shows more meals can be served to low-income children who depend on school lunch servings. The USDA is making a push to encourage children to pick up nutritious food at sites around the state. The Food Research and Action Center says the state boosted its participation rate in the program by three percent last year, yet is still only reaching about one in ten students who depend on the school meals. Signe Anderson says top-performing states offer mobile meals – going to where the kids are spending their time. The goal is to reach 40 percent of students during the summer who normally receive free or reduced-price lunches during the school year. Anderson says meals are usually offered through churches, YMCA’s, parks and recreation departments and boys and girls clubs. There is no paperwork required to receive summer meals and no questions are asked. There are sites in every county. You can obtain more information from the Ohio Department of Education.

Here’s an update on that story we shared with you earlier about Interstate 70 westbound at U.S. 40 getting shut down for about 30 minutes this morning around 10am after a fiery crash that involved two semis. A semi without a trailer was pulled over in the shoulder of 9-70 with the driver in the back of his cab when a second semi hit it. It rolled and burst into flames. The driver was able to escape before the semi caught fire. The driver who was on the side of the road was hurt and was taken to the hospital for injuries not considered life-threatening.

A 19 year old young man from New Carlisle has been charged with Aggravated Arson after Clark County Sheriff’s deputies responded to an alarm call at 1009 Beach Drive in Crystal Lakes. Deputies observed a broken window in the attached garage. According to witnesses, Arron Kiss was seen in the area prior to the fire and shortly afterwards. The news release from the Sheriff’s Department states the defendant went voluntarily to the Sheriff’s Office for an interview and admitted to his actions.
Ohio ranks 24th among states for the well-being of its children, according to an annual report released today. The 2014 Kids Count Data Book found that Ohio followed national trends, making progress in the areas of education and health of children. Dawn Wallace-Pascoe with the Children’s Defense Fund – Ohio says the state lags behind others in economic well-being and family and community. According to findings, Ohio ranks 36th for children living in high-poverty neighborhoods.

The National Weather Service says we have a 70 percent probability of some rain and thunderstorms tomorrow…mainly from Noon to 4pm. Highs will hit 79 degrees. That possibility of precipitation goes down to 30 percent tomorrow night as lows drop to 60. For tonight…temperatures will drop to 70 with skies turning cloudy. Sunshine is back for Thursday through Saturday. Highs will be near 78 for Thursday and Friday going up to 82 on Sunday. There is a possibility of some rain on Sunday.

Have you stopped by the Clark County Fair yet? WEEC is in our spot in the mercantile building…come by and say hi! I am on my way out there now, so I’ll see you from 6-9 tonight!